GPhA Board of Directors Nomination Process and Application Form
Thank you for your interest in serving on the GPhA Board of Directors.
Information about the board and a link to the 2018–2019 application are below.
STOP. READ THIS NOW:
If you are planning to apply for a position on the board of directors there is certain information you will need to complete the nomination form.
The nomination form — including any letters of recommendation — must be completed and sent by 11:59 PM on March 15, 2018.
You will need to have the following available:
- Your contact information
- Your education, including dates and degrees
- Your work experience, including dates, employers, and supervisor contact information
- Details about your community involvement
- A recent headshot (.jpg or .png preferred)
In addition, you may submit letters of recommendation from up to three people who can speak to your work and/or community experience. They should address key leadership areas including personal integrity, professional ability, and your skills in leadership and collaboration in nonprofit settings (.doc, .docx, or .pdf format preferred). Instructions for submitting these letters will be on the nomination form.
To serve on the GPhA board, you must be a voting member in good standing, and must have been a GPhA member for at least two consecutive years.
Who cannot serve on the board:
- Currently employed staff members
- Former staff members who were employed by the association at any time during the previous two years
- Anyone who has an immediate family member currently serving on the board
- The chairperson of any of GPhA’s practice academies
- No more than two voting members who are owners or employees of the same company or enterprise may serve on the board simultaneously.
- No one may serve as a board member for more than two consecutive three-year terms, or six consecutive years.
- Anyone who has served two consecutive three-year terms, or six consecutive years, shall remain ineligible until at least two years have elapsed from his or her last date of service.
- Anyone appointed or elected to fill a vacancy in a three-year term that was partially served by someone else won’t be considered to have served that term, nor will that time ‘substitute’ service count toward the consecutive-year limitation.
Expectations of GPhA board members
- Attend regular meetings of the board — that’s at least four each year, and at least three of them must be in person. There may also be special meetings called, which may be held in person or by teleconference.
Board members are expected to attend these meetings on a regular and punctual basis. Absence from more than one-third of the board’s regularly scheduled meetings in a year (July through June) will constitute that member’s resignation from the board. Members may attend meetings via teleconference, however that will still be considered an absence, although those members will still be permitted to vote on any board actions.
- Make an annual financial contribution to PharmPAC. (The demonstration of support, rather than the amount of the contribution, is of principal importance.)
- Attend the GPhA annual convention.
- Attend at least one fall and one spring GPhA regional legislative update.
- Participate on at least one Pharmacist Advocacy Team during each Georgia legislative session.
- Personally invite your state representative and state senator to meet during the legislative session, and to join you in attending GPhA’s spring and fall regional legislative updates in your area.
More details about board member requirements may be found in the GPhA Policy Manual, available at GPhA.org/about.
The positions and seats available for the 2018–19 elective year
The 2018–2019 GPhA Board of Directors will consist of 11 elected members, including the three officers. (The GPhA CEO is an ex officio member.)
President/Board Chair (Tim Short)
Immediate Past President (Liza Chapman)
Eight other members chosen as follows:
- 1 person representing the Academy of Clinical and Health-System Pharmacists
- 1 person representing the Academy of Employee Pharmacists
- 1 person representing the Academy of Independent Pharmacy
- 5 at-large members elected by the GPhA membership
This is an overview of the process of board-member elections. It is necessarily condensed. For full details, please see Article V of the GPhA Bylaws, available at GPhA.org/about. In the event of any discrepancy between the content on this page and the Bylaws, the information in the Bylaws is to be considered accurate.
The nominating committee
Before the end of January the board will establish a nominating committee, chaired by the immediate past president, to assess the needs of the organization and develop a list of the skills and characteristics most needed in new board members.
Call for nominations
No fewer than 120 days before the start of the GPhA Convention, the nominating committee will issue a call for nominations. It will include the process for submitting nominations and the deadline for doing so.
The 2018 GPhA Nominating Committee members are as follows:
- ACHP designee: Ted Hunt
- AEP designee: Amanda Westbrooks
- AIP designee: Drew Miller
- Council of Presidents designee: Sharon Sherrer
- Region presidents designee: Blake Daniel
- Current board designee: Sharon Deason
- Immediate Past President and committee chair: Lance Boles
Candidates may also be nominated by petition signed by at least five percent of the voting membership for an at-large position, or by at least five percent of the voting membership of an academy for an academy-elected position.
Screening of nominees
The nominating committee will screen each nomination for eligibility, then recommend to the board a slate of candidates to appear on a ballot for election by the membership. That screening MAY include a telephone interview with the committee.
The board will then approve a slate that contains at least two more candidates than there are at-large vacancies, and at least two candidates for each Academy-elected position.
At least 21 days before the start of our annual convention (for 2018 that date is May 20, 2018), members will be sent an electronic ballot that includes notice of the voting deadline and process, as well as information about each candidate.
The results will be announced during the second general session of the convention on June 22, 2018, and the newly elected board members installed on June 23, 2018.
The nomination form
To nominate yourself for a position on the GPhA Board of Directors, please click here to go to the nomination form. Note: You will need your GPhA login information to access the form.
If you have any questions, contact Ruth Ann McGehee at (404) 419-8173 or email@example.com.